Man Allegedly Punched His 2-Month-Old Boy To Death While In Mother's Arms: 'He Said He Blanked Out'

Man Allegedly Punched His 2-Month-Old Boy To Death While In Mother's Arms: 'He Said He Blanked Out'

The 22-year-old father pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree reckless homicide, and one count of child abuse.

Trigger Warning: This article contains graphic details of abuse that may be distressing to readers.

A 2-month-old Wisconsin baby boy tragically died in 2019 after being allegedly beaten by Kenta Evans. An altercation took place when Evans, who at the time was 21 years old, of Milwaukee was visiting the baby, named Jaquerrion Dancer, at the home of the child's mother Jessica McNeal. Evans initially came to visit the baby but things began to escalate when Evans "quickly switched from wanting to see Jaquerrion to accusing McNeal of having other men in the house." He even took McNeal's cellphone "and smashed it against the wall," reports Fox 6.  The complaint said at some point, McNeal picked up the baby and backed away from Evans. After she sat down on a mattress, the complaint said Evans "started punching (McNeal) repeatedly with closed fists, all while (McNeal) was continuing to hold (Jaquerrion)." The infant was taken by McNeal's sister and then admitted to Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin due to respiratory failure. Doctors diagnosed the baby with skull fractures, hemorrhaging, and other brain injuries. The baby succumbed to his injuries and died later. 


Evans fled the scene but was later found at his mother's house where police "located Evans hiding in a closet." The man ended up being taken into custody. The next day he allegedly "admitted to being involved in an altercation" with McNeal. The complaint said during the altercation, "Evans attempted to take Jaquerrion away from McNeal." He apparently "tried to pulled (sic) McNeal's arms off of Jaquerrion, became frustrated, and began punching McNeal repeatedly. Evans believed he struck Jaquerrion multiple times with a closed fist." When Evans saw the injuries to the baby's head, he "admitted he caused the injuries by punching Jaquerrion."


Evans’ father Kenta Evans Sr. spoke about the tragedy telling Fox 6 Now that he is “torn apart, because we lost our grandson.” He said Evans completely “blanked out.” The dad admitted that his son was at fault but also went on to put some of the blame on McNeal. He questioned why the mother picked up the baby in the middle of the altercation. He also said that his son deeply regrets his actions. "Our son is taking responsibility for his part. He would never hurt that baby. You put this baby in harm's way by picking this baby up and using him for a shield. He is struggling, hurting behind this. He says, 'Dad, I miss my little man every day.' My son says, 'I miss my little man,'"  said Evans Sr.


Evans was sentenced to serve 15 years in prison and 10 years extended supervision on the homicide conviction, and three years in prison and three years' extended supervision on the child abuse conviction. A GoFundMe was set up in hopes of raising funds to cover baby Jaquerrion’s funeral. The infant, who was known to many as Pickles because it was one of his favorite foods, was laid to rest at Serenity Funeral Home.