Baby’s Huge Head Turned Out to Be Brain Tumor | Doctors Told Worried Mom It Was Normal

Baby’s Huge Head Turned Out to Be Brain Tumor | Doctors Told Worried Mom It Was Normal

The child was taken into surgery after suffering two seizures. "We cried every single day," Melissa Moro, the child's mom said.

A mother was alarmed by the size of her newborn's head but the doctors told her its normal. However, the 2 weeks old Luca Zayas landed in the hospital after having a seizure.

Melissa Moro wasn't able to put clothes meant for newborns on Zayas because of the abnormal size of his head. The woman kept mentioning the size of Zayas' head but the doctors never took her seriously. She consulted the pediatrician but they dismissed her thinking that this is just the anxiety of a first-time mother.

A few weeks later, the 37-year-old mother could not even put the clothes meant for a toddler on him, reports TODAY.



She said, "I knew something was wrong. I kept telling my husband way before we went to the pediatrician. I was like ‘I think his head is bigger than normal children.’ " She is a professional nanny and said that she has seen a lot of kids grow up to differentiate between what's normal and what is not. 

However, two and a half months later, Zayas had a seizure after getting his shots. He could not keep his eyes open and then rolled downwards and started shaking. Moro said, "He ended up having a seizure in my husband’s arms."

A little while later he suffered another seizure and was rushed to the hospital. Several CT scans were done on Zayas which showed that he had a mass on the choroid plexus in his brain. He was referred to NYU Langone Hospital for "immediate surgery."



The very next day, the child was in surgery for five hours. Doctors removed the golf-ball-sized choroid plexus papilloma. According to Cedars-Sinai, it is a rare type of brain tumor that is non-cancerous.

Although doctors were able to remove the whole tumor, Zayas' recovery was initially difficult. Moro said, "He ended up having a seizure for almost 45 minutes that required him to go back (into surgery). They couldn’t figure out why he’s having seizures." She added, "We found out he was having seizures because he ended up having a bleed.”

Zayas was in the pediatric intensive care unit for four weeks and this time was difficult for his family. The distressed mom said, "We cried every single day." Due to the surgery, Zayas has several development delays. She said, "They had told us that he would not be able to walk until he was 5-years-old." 



Jennifer Zeman, an occupational therapist at St. Charles Hospital’s outpatient rehabilitation said, "He met a lot of milestones especially within the past few months, just the fact that he started walking was incredible."

Zayas is now 23-months-old and loves speaking words, running, throwing balls, and drawing. He still needs to undergo several MRIs to make sure the tumor hasn't reappeared. Moro said, "It’s a blessing."

She wanted to share Zayas' experience to encourage parents who feel like something’s wrong with their child to seek help. "Go get it checked out. Go ask, even if it’s nothing. Don’t wait, it could cost the life of your child." She added, "There are symptoms that the pediatrician has ended up missing like the increase in the head size or the swollen fontanelle."




Representative Cover Image Source: Getty Images/Brooke Pennington