Judgish Mistry, father to Shiv, said during the hearing that as young people are inexperienced and go out on their own, more education about anaphylaxis should be made accessible to them.
An 18-year-old has tragically passed after suffering an allergy-induced anaphylactic shock, reportedly from sipping a pina colada. Shiv Mistry, a student of medicine set to attend Clare College at Cambridge University, 'fell to the floor' while out partying with his friends in the Costa del Sol in July this year. The UK teen was unaware that the coconut cream was swapped with Cow's milk, something he was fatally allergic to. He went into an anaphylactic shock, and those around him were unsuccessful in their attempts to revive the teen.
Kaplesh Mistry, Shiv's uncle, told NYPost that he had lived with a dairy allergy since he was a child.
Coroner reveals Cambridge-bound Brit, 18, died on holiday after sipping Pina Coladahttps://t.co/MhQXABGMYL— Mirror Breaking News (@MirrorBreaking_) September 8, 2022
A statement from Shiv's family says they do not blame Shiv's friends or the partying. They called his friends 'courageous' and said they should be 'commended.' Assistant coroner Wade said that Shiv's friends gave him CPR for about 20 minutes before someone called his parents to "tell them what had happened" when Mistry's breath became more and more labored. His friends used a second EpiPen, and when emergency services arrived, they used a defibrillator. He was pronounced brain stem dead on July 8. The coroner pronounced Mistry's death an accident while concluding the inquest.
The Royal Grammar School, where Shiv was a student, tweeted about his memorial, with headmaster Philip Wayne writing, “Shiv was a wonderful lad — kind, caring, humorous and very able. He had a place at Cambridge to study medicine. What a fine doctor he would have made.”
Judgish Mistry, father to Shiv, said during the hearing that as young people are inexperienced and go out on their own, more education about anaphylaxis should be made accessible to them. “Shiv was lucky, he had friends who were medically aware and could apply CPR — however, there will be young people going on holiday with friends with no medical knowledge at all,” his father said. “Schools should give medical training to anyone who has a friend that suffers from a life-threatening allergy.”
A GoFundMe has been set up in Mistry's honor, with proceeds going to the family as well as to a charity focussing on helping those living with severe allergic conditions.
The Gofundme reads, "My Nephew, Shiv, had recently turned 18. He was in Spain with his friends to celebrate finishing his exams and looking forward to attending Claire College at Cambridge University to study Medicine later this year. Whilst holidaying in Spain, he sadly died, Shiv had an allergic reaction and went into anaphylactic shock. His friends, medics, and police tried to revive him, but it was not possible. Shiv has lived with a dairy allergy since he was a little boy. As part of a request from the family, we would like to make donations in the memory of Shiv."
The Anaphylaxis Campaign is a UK charity to meet the needs of the growing numbers of people at risk from severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis). Donations for Shiv will be sent to the Anaphylaxis Campaign, per Gofundme. "Donations will be spilt some going to Anaphylaxis UK and to other worthwhile endeavors which will also aid people that have allergies and anaphylaxis by proactively using mobile and other technology."
It was a privilege to spend time with the grieving parents and sister of Shiv Mistry Y13 this morning. Shiv died whilst on holiday with his RGS friends following an anaphylactic shock. All who knew Shiv are welcome to attend a ceremony at The Chilterns Crematorium on Tuesday. pic.twitter.com/O0PTq4aP50— RGSHW Headmaster (@rgshw) August 6, 2022
Cover Image Source: Gofundme