Man Confesses To Killing Ex-Girlfriend With an Axe and Burying Her Body in a Forest

Man Confesses To Killing Ex-Girlfriend With an Axe and Burying Her Body in a Forest

Katie's body was hidden beneath leaves and twigs in such a way that even forensic experts were unable to find it.

Cover Image Source: YouTube/Independent

Trigger warning: This article contains themes of domestic violence and graphic descriptions of violence that some readers may find distressing

Andrew Burfield, 50, confessed to murdering his ex-partner Katie Kenyon in Gisburn. Katie's head was slashed with an axe by the culprit. Andrew, from Todmorden Road, Burfield, denied the allegations for months after the case was brought to court. At Preston crown court three days into the trial over Kenyon's death, he changed his plea to 'guilty.' Katie, who is a mother of two, was found dead in the forest. Burfield was detained and interrogated four times at the start of the interrogation, but he refused to provide any information about her whereabouts. In his final interview, Prosecutor David McLachlan KC stated that the version of events changed due to a "discovery."

According to Lancashire Live, Burfield admitted that he and Katie Kenyon went on a picnic where Katie challenged Andrew to hit a can of coke with an axe. Burfield decided to throw the axe at a tree instead, believing that it would sever her arm. He also stated that the axe struck Katie Kenyon in the head, killing her instantly. "I went for the tree at her side," he said as he described the crime scene, "but it hit her in the head and she died instantly in one blow." He later buried her body.

Katie was reported missing on April 24, 2022, and her body was discovered on April 29, 2022, in the Bowland Forest. A post-mortem examination was performed, and the cause of death was determined to be head injuries. The prosecution also claimed that Katie's skull had at least 12 blows according to Home Office pathologists, which contradicts Burfield's claim that she died in a single blow. Further adding to the claim, the prosecution also said that Katie's body was hidden beneath leaves and twigs in a shallow grave so well hidden that forensic experts were unable to find it.



On the morning of her death, Kenyon reportedly texted Burfield, saying she was "ready and excited for a new chapter." According to the prosecution, Burfield spent just over 42 minutes in the woods killing her and burying her body. He continued, Burfield had borrowed a set of ladders and a spade from his father the day before he murdered Kenyon and driven to Gisburn Forest to dig her grave. They were caught on CCTV traveling in his Ford Transit and stopping at Mcdonald's before heading to the forest. Analysis showed Kenyon's phone traveling back from the site at about 11:15 BST.

As per the statement presented to the jury, Burfield then used the phone to send messages to himself and Ms. Kenyon's children before leaving a voice message saying he was "a little worried" about her. The court also heard that Kenyon's daughter sent her a message at 12:18 and received a response of two laughing face emojis and that her father would be looking after her. According to the prosecution, those messages were all sent after Ms. Kenyon was killed.