Officials believe Wrangler Hendrix from Texas died from positional asphyxiation.
Trigger Warning: This article contains graphic details of injuries that readers may find distressing.
An 8-year-old boy from Texas died after he was "wedged between a washer and dryer," while playing hide-and-seek. Wrangler Hendrix, who was from Jewett was visiting a relative's home in Coolidge, Georgia, with his grandparents when the incident took place. His family found him stuck between the machines and immediately began CPR. Officials were called to the scene but found the young boy "unresponsive," according to Thomas County Sheriff's Office Captain Tim Watkins, per PEOPLE.
EMTs were able to briefly revive the child, but he became unresponsive again and died at the hospital. https://t.co/Ai2Da5qyxf— WSB-TV (@wsbtv) June 15, 2022
"The child was transported to Archbold Memorial Hospital in Thomasville, Georgia, where resuscitation attempts continued," Capt. Watkins added in his statement to the outlet. The child was pronounced dead on June 10, 2022, at approximately 7:28 PM after first responders attempted to resuscitate him for an hour.
While the family waits for an official autopsy, law enforcement members believe Hendrix died from positional asphyxiation. "The Thomas County Sheriff's Office would like to express our deepest condolences to the family of Wrangler," says Capt. Watkins.
Many people were horrified after hearing about the young boy's tragic death and took to social media to share their condolences. One person wrote, "What a tragic accident, that poor family. This has been of one my irrational fears after a coworker lost a cat this way, and now it feels rational and thats terrifying."
“Breaks my heart, he probably had anxiety which made his breathing harder,” Rhonda Stalvey said.
"My heart breaks for all of you. Praying for peace and comfort for you during these dark days. Wrangler was a sweetheart. So thankful for the time I got to be his bus driver," one person wrote in an online tribute. "He was so well-mannered and took care of his sister. They were so excited about their trip and the beach. We joked about wearing lots of sunscreen as they got off the bus. Rest in heavenly peace, Wrangler,"
Texas Boy Dies After Getting Stuck Between Washer and Dryer While Playing Hide-and-Seek on Vacation https://t.co/ZiqQhuOoix— People (@people) June 16, 2022
In a similar incident, a two-year-old died after climbing inside a clothes dryer that shut behind her. First Coast News reported that the toddler climbed inside the dryer drawer, which actually sits beneath the dryer itself in many new dryers. The mother was reportedly asleep when the little girl climbed inside the appliance. “It was crazy. Nobody knew what was going on, no details,” neighbor David Williams told News4GA. “It’s just an awful tragedy you know. She’s a good girl. She's a good mom.”
“She takes care of her kid. She goes to work,” Williams continued. “She does the right thing, and for something like this to happen in our neighborhood is just awful.”
Cover Image Source: Bowers Funeral Home