13-Year-Old Girl Was “Dropped On Her Head” On Playground And Suffered Severe Brain Injury

13-Year-Old Girl Was “Dropped On Her Head” On Playground And Suffered Severe Brain Injury

She was pulled by the neck and dropped on a concrete playground by a boy in school.

A 13-year-old was "dropped on her head" on a concrete playground which caused severe brain injury. The incident happened at Archbishop Sentamu Academy on July 8.

A kid reportedly dropped Neeka Atkinson and then "walked away laughing." According to her horrified relatives, the child pulled her up by the neck before dropping her head first onto the floor. Neeka went to student services, crying and in agony. She began having seizures and was brought to the hospital. Following the playground incident, doctors discovered that the youngster had a large blood clot and a hemorrhage on the brain, reports Daily Mail.




Alisha Atkinson, a sales manager from Hull and Neeka's sister said, "From what we know, he picked her up by her neck at first and then slammed her head first into the concrete, then walked away laughing." She added, "Neeka was rushed to hospital, they induced her into a coma and did a CT scan immediately. They found that she had a big blood clot on her brain and also a bleed on the brain - within minutes she was rushed to surgery which took four hours."

They don't have the resources to keep her in Hull Royal, so she'll be sent to either Leeds or Sheffield. Neeka is awake in the hospital at the moment, but she can only use the right side of her face and is straining to talk. She broke down and asked her grandmother if she was 'dead' because she couldn't use her body anymore.




Helen Winn, who began her new role as Executive Principal at Neeka's school on Monday, stated, "We are all desperately worried about our 13-year-old student following an incident last week. All our thoughts are with her, her family and her friends at this very difficult time. We are enormously grateful for the outstanding work of our healthcare professionals who we know are doing all they can for her. Because of the police involvement in the case, we are unable to say anything further at this stage."




The incident is being investigated by Humberside Police, and a teenage boy was detained and later released on bail. A spokesperson for the department said, "We received a call shortly after 4pm reporting that the girl had suffered a serious injury, reportedly caused by a boy who is known to her, earlier that day whilst at school." They added, "The matter is being investigated by detectives and a number of inquiries have already been carried out to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident."

Atkinson put up a GoFundMe page to help pay for their grandmother's lodging and travel to Sheffield once Neeka is flown there. Any additional funds will go toward the girl's recovery and any future equipment she may require.




Cover Image Source: GoFundMe/In aid of Neeka Atkinson